Thursday, March 3, 2011

March Preview... Wait, March?

A Meiji-era geisha (Okinawa Soba)

If anyone could tell me where February went, I'd be very grateful... At any rate, I apologize for the low density of posts this past month; I became very wrapped up in mid-terms, super secret projects, commission work, working on the Nativepunk, and a fairly long trip south to Anachrocon 2011. As promised, backlog will be dealt with and in the next week you should see a few ghosts of February's docket:

Clothing You'll Love
Joseon Korea

Tutorial Time!
Turbans 101

Kagashi's Kitchen
I Love it When a Flan Comes Together

However, March also brings some shiny new content coming down the pipes, including:

Clothing You'll Love
The Roving Romani

Focus on Folkways
Masks of Moon and Vermillion- Geisha Makeup in the 19th Century
In Search of Steampunk St. Patrick's Day

Featured Traveler
Joanne Alford

Special Content
Marche de le Nain Rouge- is an old French custom brought over to a variety of Francophone territories during the 17th-19th centuries. The city of Detroit, which was founded by Antoine de la Mothe Cadillac in 1701, has brought back the tradition of scaring off the "red dwarf" that causes the mischief and strife of the previous year through a loud and raucous street festival. Should you find yourself in Detroit on March 20th don a mask and join the parade!

I'll also be posting photos of my finished Native American steampunk as worn at Anachrocon once more come in. I would post a teaser picture, but I've become a little paranoid these days about things being taken out of context.

6 comments:

  1. The preview looks fabulous. I'm especially looking forward to the turban tutorial and the Romani post. The latter actually made me gasp in excitement.

    By the way, do you know of any good sources for Ottoman embroidery patterns? I'd like to embroider the vest for my Ottoman Steampunk ensemble, but am having a little bit of a hard time finding good resources, like an actual pattern or two. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooh, I'm also excited for turbans and Romani!

    Miss Leah, I'm not Miss Kagashi but I do have some ideas... have you had a look through the Folkwear Book of Ethnic Clothing? I just flipped through mine and it doesn't have embroidery patterns, but it does have examples of embroidered clothing and illustrations of motifs for a variety of cultures. It might be a good spring board for you! Also, Dover books has a lot of cheap embroidery books, you might be able to find something Ottoman-esque that you could adapt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ditto on the enthusiasm! Since the salwar tute I've been anxiously awaiting the turban. As for the Romani, I've been an admirer of the culture for quite some time and I'd love to learn even more!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joseon, geisha makeup and Romani in the same month? You are good to me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmm - Geisha makeup... Eye cream made from nightingale poop and lead-based white that turns your neck yellow when you go to the hot springs! (and likely killed at least one of the performers on Madame Sadayakko's touring company)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so excited for Choson Korea! :D

    I love you so much. <3

    ReplyDelete