Friday, October 15, 2010

Featured Traveler: Siryn Von Steam

Give a warm welcome to our first of (hopefully) many Featured Travelers- real steampunks from all over the aether who were inspired to use multicultural elements in their kit.

This verdant ensemble of sari and silks was sent in to me by Siryn von Steam of Dusk to Dawn Productions, who was kind enough to answer a few questions about her sari-tastic design.

Read my interview with her below...

Miss K: Why did you decide to integrate an Indian look into your steampunk ensemble?

Siryn:  I’ve always had a love of Indian sari fabric since the colors are so bright and bold and I thought they would be great to add to a steampunk ensemble. The idea of this particular outfit was to make her my own interpretation of the Green Fairy, but call her Captain Greenfae (when she’s not in her airship and is on land, people call her the Green Fairy ;) And I thought, well, she probably likes to travel all over the world and probably stopped in India and got lots and lots of fabrics to play with J. I also had some gorgeous Indian fabric a neighbor of my mother’s brought back for us from India that I was dying to use for a project.

Miss K: How long did it take you to make/put together your ensemble?

Siryn: My mother is my seamstress. I make/draw/come up with the designs, and then we get together and figure out how it’s going to be made. I can sew a little, but I don’t have the skill my mother does.  The blouse, bustle skirt, and half skirt took about 2 days to complete. The rest was either from previous outfits I had or bought from vendors online. All in all I would say maybe a week’s time to get it together, not counting the custom ordered items like my hat (which I added the goggles, feathers, and dragonfly to after), military vest, and my utility pouch. Those took a little longer as they were made after I put in an order for them.

Miss K: What was your favorite part of the process?

Siryn: My favorite part was coming up with a way to make it feminine yet tough, like I could be fierce yet very delicate at the same time. So I think coming up with the idea of her look was my favorite part.

Miss K: In your research or construction did you find out something interesting about the culture?

Siryn: I found that while going down to our local Little India, that many of the people helping me find fabric (for my bustle skirt) that wascomplimentary to what I was trying to work with were very helpful. They thought the idea was a little strange, but the lady who I ended up buying my bustle fabric from was very nice. J Most things about the culture I knew from Indian people I know, or Bollywood movies I’ve watched, so it’s a little real and a little maybe not so real haha!

Some of that beautiful bustle fabric!

Miss K: What sort of reactions do you get wearing your ensemble out/to events?

Siryn: People LOVE it! They love the bright colors. I think people familiar with steampunk are glad to see the color, since sometimes it gets pigeon-holed as a genre that revolves around browns, beige and black which is a result of sepia toned pictures. A lot of people tell me they love my hat the most, and they like all the detail all over of the outfit in general.  

Miss K:  Why would you recommend making an Indian-inspired steampunk ensemble to people?

Siryn: Well if people want to go with a more British theme, I would recommend the Indian things because of the historical aspect behind it (The British dealings with India).
I would also recommend it because the colors are beautiful and the Victorians LOVED color! Indian culture has beautiful, bright, and bold colors and what a great place to find some colorful inspiration for your Victorian wear.

Looking marvelous- particularly with how the greens just pop against the metallic accents and Siryn's gorgeous red hair.

Thank you for sharing this with us Siryn! If you would like to contact her for more information about her outfit, you may do so through her website

If you have an outfit that you want to see featured on a future Friday, be sure to drop the crow lady an email with a photo or two- the more the merrier. Who knows? You might inspire another traveler.


  1. Great interview! And not just because I know the featured steampunk.

  2. There is much of the fabric-lust. Great colour combinations!

  3. Awesome! I've seen her photos before on the steamfashion community. She looks absolutely fantastic, and I love the lady Rufio standing with her too.

    I also wanted to say--I'm so, so glad that there's more people out there who think that multiculturalism belongs in steampunk and should be in steampunk! I was also hoping for any advice you'd be willing to give on an Ottoman steampunk persona that's budget-friendly. I might be going to TeslaCon, and don't have a whole lot of time to prepare a full outfit, but I do have some things that can be modified and some sewing skills.


  4. Dear Shokodragoness-

    I'd be more than happy to lend you advice and look forward to meeting you at Teslacon. I warn you however, due to my reason for being there, I will be in character ( 75% of the time.

  5. First my face did this: :D
    And then it did this: D:

    Thanks so much! I have a basic idea of my costume, and some stuff to turn into accessories, etc. I've kind of resolved myself that if I can go to the con next year, my costume will be much more impressive and DIY. But my harquus will kick ass, that much I know!

  6. Yum, gorgeous colors! I'm a big believer of color in steampunk :)

  7. I do love green for steampunk: it complements the copper, gold and browns.

  8. Hi! I'm having trouble finding an email to send both a link I think you'll find interesting (on political resistance in Hungarian dress), and my own steamy threads that use a sari.